I BELIEVE THAT YOUR PURCHASES CONTROL THE WORLD AROUND YOU LOCALLY AND GLOBALLY. YOU DECIDE & INFORM THOSE AROUND YOU BY BEING POSITIVE AND LENDING A HAND WHEN YOU SEE SOMEONE IN NEED OF DIRECTION, DIRECT THEM. SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN AND SEE WHAT I HAVE STARTED TO DO AND PLEASE HELP ME TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES FOR MYSELF AND THOSE AROUND ME. LET'S ALL WORK TOGETHER AND SUPPORT THOSE WHO ARE IN NEED.
This is NEW & I am thrilled to partner with "Gifts with a Cause" Want to help? Come in and buy a print or soapstone carving!
What you Should know about the painting elephants?
Elephants are very intelligent, have good memories, are emotional, communicate and bond well with their mahouts. Elephants are able to learn easily with positive reinforcement training and trust. With more awareness and purchase of elephant art, there will be more help for the preservation and conservation of the endangered Asian elephant. You can easily donate $15.00 here at Ophelia's green spa and receive a print of your choice.
The elephant's size, power, intelligence, and tenderness combine to make an awesome animal. A wonderful combination for an animal in the wild and an inspirational companion for man.
For thousands of years, man has had various types of relationships with elephants. The elephant is a symbol of power, royalty, and divinity. Elephants belong in the wild and all of us can work toward that goal but at this time, we can be informed consumers and support the elephants by purchasing products from only those elephant camps that provide great care and humane treatment of the elephants as we work together to provide more education and alternative sources of income for the villages.
For all of our products, in addition to paying Fair Trade wages, and depending on the cost of the labor, materials, import/export fees, tariffs, and necessary expenses, from 25% to 50% of the selling price of each item is given to the artist, animal conservation and humanitarian projects.
Love of Elephants. I LOVE Elephants. I have since I was a little girl. I gravitate towards them, maybe that make them my spirit animal? Either way let's take care of them & learn.
There are a select group of elephants who have artistic talent and are easily engaged in painting. The Mahouts and owners of the Conservation camps get a good indicator when elephants are not interested in painting - as they eat their paint brush and other things. Elephants who are not interested in painting - don't paint. The elephant art that we represent is done by talented elephants who are well cared for. The elephants seem pleased with the applause of the audience and of course the bundles of sugarcane and bananas after the paintings are completed. The painting process actually provides needed stimulation for the elephants.
As part of the training process, the trainer shows the elephant basic brush strokes. The trainer loads the brush with the desired color and the elephant proceeds to make the learned stroke. Each piece of art is unique as the elephant has total control of the brush.
Future of Elephants
With open eyes and hearts, let's be informed participants in this one world community. Every one of us can see the bigger picture and make a positive difference.
We will save the elephant by being informed about the many needs of the people and the elephants. We would love to see all elephants free to be in the wild but the present reality is more limiting. At this moment we need to improve the education and source of sustainable income for the people and provide better care and expanded habitat for the elephants.
If you buy local and choose Ophelia's green spa you also partner with GIFTS WITH A CAUSE who always do their best to make informed decisions and represent products, artists, villages, and projects worthy of your consideration.
Supporting the green movement while inspiring others.
- Use power strips in treatment rooms and office areas and turn them off when equipment is not in use.
- Use reusable or biodegradable options whenever possible with your food and beverage services instead of paper and plastic cups, plates and flatware.
- Establish an in-spa recycling awareness program. Place recycling bins next to trash cans with clearly marked signs indicating what constitutes acceptable waste.
- Use natural, non-toxic, biodegradable cleaning supplies instead of chemical based products.
- Limit the amount of linens provided. Offer only what is needed with the option of additional linens upon request. This would include towels, robes, etc.
- Purchase in bulk when possible. This is also a wise financial choice.
- Buy organic and fair-trade coffee. I supply my home and office with organically roasted beans from our Local Coffee Shop Bean Juice.
- Adjust A/C by 2 degrees in the summer and turn your thermostat down 2 degrees in the winter to use less energy. This will also save you money on your hydro bills!
- Use halogen, LED, CLF or low-voltage track lighting in at least 50% of your sources. Don't forget about motion sensors & windows providing natural lighting.
- Program all computer monitors to Sleep Mode after 15 minutes or more.
- Use filtered water taps instead of buying bottles drinking water. This is a cheaper alternative to buying bottled water and limits waste. (I use Kishu Charcoal)
- Print all marketing materials on recycled paper with vegetable based inks.
- Reuse previously used paper for in-spa memos, notes, scratch paper. (My Grandma does this & she was the Valedictorian of her class so it is a smart move)
- Designate time at staff meetings to discuss new and existing environmental efforts.
- Provide staff with information on how they can improve their green efforts at home as well in the spa.
- Have reusable bags instead of using paper or plastic for product sales. Purchase a Strawberry Bag to carry in your purse & have it always.
- Reuse packaging materials for shipping. Call me if your in need of Boxes, I might have some for you:)
- Design marketing materials that require no envelopes, reusing envelopes, and go digital with free marketing. (Email email@example.com for business strategies)
- I walk to work majority of the time
- Insulated water heaters
- I used products certified by green guard (Flooring, Insulation, ect.)
- I used Zero and Low VOC paint
- Used Items from our local Restore (Ask and I will show you what came from the restore)
- Partnering with Fair Trade, Local and Global Vendors that do great work.